ATTENTION: Change to Library’s Policy on the Lending of Journals
Some of you will already be aware that from the start of this term onwards we are no longer lending print journals.
The reasons for this are as follows:
- Almost all academic journals are readily available online both on and off-campus.
- For the few titles that aren’t, the University provides copying and free scanning facilities.
- The loss or damage of a journal issue is a serious matter. We know from experience that trying to replace copies can be very time-consuming and expensive, and often unsuccessful.
- We have already had a policy of not lending bound journal volumes in place for some years. We are now simply extending this to single issues of journals.
- Most university libraries have a similar policy of making print journals reference only.
- We also hope that placing a greater emphasis on accessing journals online will open up wider vistas of research for you, our students, where thousands of full-text journal titles are available rather than hundreds in print.