A bit of news about Library’s Art project…..
Dr C S Orwin was Director of the Institute for Research in Agricultural Ecomonics at Oxford University from when it was first established in 1913 until 1945. Orwin collected some 70 paintings and prints, mostly of livestock, dating from the late-eighteenth and early-nineteenth centuries. Upon his retirement he gave these to Oxford University and they became known as the Orwin Collection. In 1987 there ceased to be a suitable building at Oxford to house the Collection and the University is now kindly offering it on loan to the Royal Agricultural College on whose walls it should look very much at home.
Great agricultural prosperity in the latter eighteenth century meant improved types of livestock were developed and the Orwin Collection reflects this. Famous artists such as Thomas Weaver, Sartorius and Boultbee are all represented with their portraits of prize-winning livestock, sporting pictures and scenes of country life. Engravers, such as William Ward, reproduced these paintings in large numbers and the prints had a ready sale all over the country.